Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Adventure 3: Riding escalators and trekking through the streets of the Mid-Levels

 
Left: a shot of the Mid-Levels from above

The Mid-Levels, 半山區 (literally translates into "half mountain area") named so, because it is located halfway up a mountain (Victoria Peak) just above Central. It is home to expensive real estate as well as prestigious and well-known schools, most notably the University of Hong Kong.

The streets of the Mid-Levels are accessible by the Central-Mid-Levels Escalator, a series of escalators allowing pedestrians access between Central and the rest of the Mid-Levels. Opened in 1994, it is in the guiness world records for the longest outdoor covered elevator system in the world. At 800 metres long, it consists of 20 escalators and 3 moving sidewalks (you know, like those people movers in airports but on a slant) running up through the Mid-Levels. The escalator is sectioned to allow easy access to every street it bisects (kind of like bus stops!). The following are photos of what I saw while riding the escalators up the Mid-Levels. (click for enlargement)




1. The beginning of the Central Mid-Level Escalator (I think this is one of the people movers 2. Halfway up, at the end of 1 section making my way to the beginning of the other. My great aunt lives somewhere up there..I think.. 3. First stop: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Museum housed in the former home of the brother of Hong Kong's Magnate, a well preserved building from the 20th century. The exhibits showcase the life and career of the man who was invovled in the overthrowing if the Qing dynasty and the start of the Republic of China. 4. Dr. Sun Yat-sen bronze statue of him as a student holding a chinese and western book. 5. I found a mosque on the way up. The Jamia Mosque originally built in the 1840s is apparently not open to non-muslims 6. The sign that I saw when I got to the end of the escalators. They are in every district and the reason why I walk around HK without a map. Very handy, they point out all the tourist attractions in that area. 7. A map I found on the street. More places to add to my random adventures yay! 8. Hollywood Rd. One of the streets that bisect the mid-level escalators, where antique shops line the street. 9. Antiques on Cat Street. 10. Walking along Hollywood Rd., I find the Man Mo Temple, the main Chinese temple on HK island built in 1847. Apparently chinese merchants used to gather here to discuss community affairs. These merchants later became the founders of the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals who also maintain this temple. 11. A look inside the temple, characterized by many hanging coils of incense above. 12. Extremely steep streets through the mid-levels, which makes those escalators so handy. 13. Taking the stairs on the way down. The escalators only run one way at any time. In the morning they are all going down and from the afternoon to 10pm they run upwards (it would suck to have to walk up in the morning!) 14. Soho, stands for "south of hollywood (street)". There are many little bars and restaurants along this street.

5 comments:

  1. such a great entry about Central! I miss home after seeing your pictures! haha...(oh and sorry for not responding on gchat earlier.. I thought you sent me a wrong msg when I saw ocean, haa :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow. I like this place! And I need those antiques on Cat Street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pi! and no probs, I didn't expect a reply, as long as you read my lame joke! haha.

    Hey Jennaboo! Thanks for visiting :). There were just antiques at the side of the road...but no one was there..I could've smuggled them for you :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i like the details.

    i should check your blog again before my trip to hk

    ReplyDelete